Sunday, April 22, 2007

Matt's Mitts

Here's my latest FO:

Pattern: Matt's Mitts - my own design! (With a bit of inspiration from Elizabeth Zimmerman and Kitty's Broadstreet Mittens)
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss (70% Merino Wool, 30% Silk), Black and Dusk
Needles: US size 3 DPNs and US size 2 DPNs

For Christmas I promised Matt a pair of gloves and I just finished these today - just in time for summer. Well, at least his hands will be toasty next winter.

He asked for a pair of convertible mitts, so I looked around for patterns that would suit his tastes. But most of the "glittens" that I found either lacked half fingers on the inside, or look like the pop top was an after thought. To try to make the mitten top appear more streamlined and integrated, I made the whole outer-part in one piece (with a giant button hole for the opening) and added the black finger portion afterwards.

There's still a little bit of a bump - from the difference in thickness there - but I think it's not too noticeable.


Twitchy Knitter said...

Very nice!

cranberry said...

Those are fabulous! Absolutely fab! I don't see any mistakes or 'bumps'

*still drooling*