Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Garden and a Recipe for Roasted Rosemary Potatoes


Did you know that I have a vegetable garden? I think I've mentioned it before. It's about 8 feet wide by 16 feet long. I'm really lucky that someone who lived here before had their garden in the same spot. It's sunny most of the time and the soil is richer than anywhere else in our yard. Matt and I spent several afternoons working the soil in the spring to make it hospitable to the plants we wanted to grow. And then we planted a slew of veggies, crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.


We've had some very mixed success. We harvested a couple handfuls of peas and several pounds of potatoes but our lettuce, kale, carrots, melons and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting became casualties of the bugs, birds squirrels and bunnies. I can't complain too much. We really don't know what the heck we were doing and Tennessee is pretty different from California and even in CA, we only really grew a few tomatoes some peppers. So I'm chalking it up to a learning experience and celebrating the victories.



Yay for the potatoes! These are yukon golds. They're super versatile and yummy too. And here's one of my favorite potato recipes.

Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

This is an easy potato dish that you can pop in the oven to roast while you make the rest of your dinner.

1.5 – 2 lbs roasting potatoes (I like reds, fingerlings and yukon golds)
olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
salt
pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Toss them into a glass baking dish. Strip the leaves off the rosemary stems, mince the leaves, and discard the stems. Add the rosemary and garlic to the potatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and dot with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and give the whole thing a good stir. Pop it in the oven to roast. Turn over potatoes every 20 minutes or so to ensure even cooking. The potatoes will be done when they are tender on the inside and a little bit crispy on the outside. Approx 45 min.

No comments: